Have we really not seen an adventure log without unbroken continuity since the party returned from Ancient Babylon? Yikes! Here is a brief summary that will attempt to bridge that incredible gap, and will link to the random logs since then as appropriate.
- Pall Mall, McGreggor and James fought back against monsters at Stonehenge, then traveled with the druids to a Millennium Tree. There Pall Mall swapped personalities due to a mind probe by the tree and was prevented from further interactions. McGreggor wore his evil, demonic suit of power armor and as such was also denied opportunity to interact, though the reason eluded him. James was able to communicate with the tree and received some insight and a gift.
- Pall Mall, McGreggor and James then traveled to Camelot where they encountered a long-forgotten branch of the Magic Guild that was in disuse due to Myrrlyn’s policies. They extracted some valuable information regarding the plague of P.P.E.’s first appearance (World War II) and the name of the first mage known to have succumbed to the madness this plague creates (Brent Goren).
- Pall Mall, McGreggor and James returned to Stonehenge. They sent a shadow beast armed with a video camera/transmitter through the portal into Dyval. The Shadowbeast’s presence was noticed and the ensuing fight easily destroyed the machine, collapsing the portal and belying the machine’s pre-golden age (S.D.C.) origins.
- Trent rejoined the group and they spent time brainstorming. McGreggor was sent back to Lazlo per his request and the group worked out that the seven greatest artifacts would each likely correspond to each of the seven alignments, and that each alignment/sin/weapon would be represented by one of the seven colors of the rainbow. A hidden eighth was postulated (based on the Taoist alignment, occasionally seen in China), but that claim was disregarded for the time being.
- The time for thinking was then over; now became the time to act! They traveled first to France (meeting some Wormwood folks along the way), then to the heart of the African continent, using magic to travel to ley line nexus points in the hope they would arrive at a nexus with a Deevil portal purely by happenstance. This method proved to be tedious and fruitless, so they paused their mission to deal with the P.P.E. plague in order to “regroup” in Lazlo and target the correct nexus points.
- Meanwhile… an odd assortment of individuals in Lazlo answered an ad and were hired by Pyrewood Ops (contracted through Tyvernos Oriflame and to some small extent, Trent Logan) to travel to Madhaven in order to locate and return with the Eye of Osiris. They were accompanied by Zander Frey as a Pyrewood Ops representative and were ultimately successful in this task. Zander Frey continued to “hang around” Lazlo and eventually joined the Magic Guild.
- After the regular group we’ve been following arrived back in Lazlo, Trent cleared up McGreggor’s misunderstanding, pre-emptively hired a Pyrewood Ops tech named Bex to examine the next Deevil machine they find, did research to discover all the “major” nexus point locations known throughout the world, met Zander Frey, and numerous other things as noted in his journal. McGreggor discovers his Atorian legacy and the Fate of the Empire. James gets in a fight that makes him famous, meets Jaena Slayne, joins the Magic Guild and probably did other stuff as well. Pall Mall and Steve’s individual actions during this time remain inscrutable.
- Trent, Zander, James, and Bex (with a kicker for hazard pay after the full nature of the job was explained to her) visit a major nexus point not too far from Lazlo, in Windsor. There they witness an intense battle between Demons, Deevils, and Superhumans. Trent and Zander work to get the group safely to and through the portal. In Dyval the group is nearly overcome by the Deevils stationed around the machine. Some teamwork, quick thinking and luck allowed them to escape Dyval dimensionally just as the machine was to explode.
- They returned to Lazlo. Bex informed them of some of the basic things she gleaned about the machine, not the least of which was that it has been running for more than 300 years! She departed with her money to process everything she learned and prepare a report on it properly. With the information she provided and other knowledge the group had, they postulated that these machines creating the P.P.E. plague are designed to create an event very similar to the Coming of the Rifts – except that this time, the Rifts are already here, and such an event timed with the proper celestial events would destroy Rifts Earth utterly, and could potentially reverberate throughout the megaverse! Trent and Zander did some basic astronomical reckoning and realized that a sympathetic celestial configuration could be coming up in about three years!
- With a countdown timer to the end of the world ticking away, and the possible end of all things to immediately follow, Trent decided to visit the Pucaran Mind Mage in Africa who specializes in dealing with mental issues. Zander, Trent (in disguise) and James (also in disguise, and very uncomfortable doing this) traveled to Africa to the city of Rama. From there James guided them out of the city safely and into the African wilderness, where James was able to piece together where the Pucaran actually resides and lead the group there.
- James and Zander both noted that several gods were hanging in this being’s home, apparently lobotomized. The Pucaran told them the gods hung there as a reminder of his failures, but then also let slip that those gods were unable to come up with a suitable payment for his services. James specifically noted that Hel, from Pall Mall’s pantheon, was amongst them.
- The Pucaran accepted Trent’s payment and performed surgery on his brain using a unique astral rune scalpel. The surgery was very nearly a failure due to Trent’s plethora of unique overlapping mental issues and past manipulations, but ultimately was a small success. The Pucaran offered to see Trent again in three weeks after he has had time to heal. The group returned to Lazlo.
- Trent discovered a way to working safely with P.P.E. and minimize his chances of insanity. With his recent infiltration failure at Windsor fresh in his mind, he began to devise plans to compensate. He utilized Zander’s unique talents to scout out Nexus points, research a more solid date for the end of the world, and perform other tasks as well. James did some stuff too while waiting for Jaena Slayne to repair his armor. Bex submitted her report to Trent and the group, outlining her findings and understanding of the Deevil Device. Jaena Slayne also made some startling discoveries while investigating some of Trent’s theories and working on the armor.
- A month after their return from Africa, Trent posted a scathing letter in Magic Guild locations around the world, exposing the most Deevilish of secrets.
- Pall Mall, James, Zander, Steve and Trent meet back up and together travel back to Africa. Trent receives his second (very) successful treatment from the Pucaran but Pall Mall chooses not to pay the creature’s price. Zander, Steve and James scout out the pyramid at Giza only to discover that, due to the Demon guards and beings there, it will be very tough for their team to get to the nexus here. Trent decides they should go instead to Calgary, and deal with the Deevil portal they left behind there.
- In New Calgary Pall Mall unleashes the bottled up energy of countless ley lines, the Calgary super nexus, and all the death energy of Athena upon the landscape in one fell swoop, killing or severely impacting nearly everyone within hundreds of miles. Zander weathers the resulting storm with no issue. Pall Mall and Gazi only survive due to the timely intervention of Boz, who was there to investigate mystic alarms that the group unknowingly set off. Trent managed to save himself, Steve and James just before the blast went off with a timely Wink-Out. When they reconvened and re-gathered together, shaken, they decided to head to Russia – far away from the repercussions of recent events.
- In Russia they arrived in Minsk, the seat of power for Warlord Seriyev. Steve impressed the Warlord with his “American Style Power Armor” and the Warlord decided to keep them close for the time being, and invited them to a jovial grand feast. A Deevil spy was noticed during the dinner feast, but it escaped once its cover was blown. Later, Seriyev secretly revealed to the group that he was working to re-arm an unearthed nuclear missile. As Zander investigated what the Deevil had been doing there, the trail lead to an ambush by a teenage supervillian.
- Trent and Zander dimensionally followed the superhuman to a dimensional space, where a lot of muscle flexing happened as each group sought to “show off” and impress the other. This group was revealed to be the reason for the Deevil spy, and they appeared to be working with/for the Deevils inadvertently. Trent and Zander returned to Rifts Earth with this interesting knowledge.
This summary of events covers the party’s actions (at a high level – there has been detail both intentionally and unintentionally left out due to the summary nature of this post) up through the GM Recap for Session 18.