Campaign of the Month: May 2014
Ladies in Hades and the Dyval Wears Prada
- Order of the White Rose sends Zander a letter that ends up in the Lazlo Magic Guild asking him for his help and asking him to return there as soon as possible as they have information they think is vital to him in his “unique” situation and they are eager to repay him for his help and contributions. Upon further inspection the Order of the White Rose is closely linked with another highly clandestine secret order called C.H.A.O.S. (Celestial Harbingers and Avengers of Absolute Order and Serenity — this last “S” is sometimes replaced with Salvation). The information they have to divulge isn’t safe for a missive and the complete contents of this update MUST be conveyed in-person. The Celestial Harbingers are made up of “eternal” dragons that reincarnate into the world when they are needed to preserve the cosmic balance and to fight the encroaching chaos. A warning has been issued. Something dire is coming soon. The Harbingers have begun to reincarnate and emerge. They believe one such Harbinger is the “fledgling” dragon hatchling Zander knows as Jatarri Windstalker. COMPLETED
- Kiku Chromium reincarnated Dragon of the Falling Silver Star reaches out to Zander through a letter from the “student” name of her Twin Sister, Jatarri Windstalker, reincarnated Dragon of the Rising Red Sun, she is a part of an ancient order of protectors who is reborn and injected into the Megaverse only in times of great need…and peril. The Cosmic / Celestial Harbingers of Absolute Order and Serenity / Salvation. (CHAOS) She explains NOTHING in the missive and instead seeks a personal audience where she can explain why she took her Sister’s name. She doesn’t know yet if she is the first to reincarnate but she does know that she and the others will be hunted down like vermin — like dogs — if they re-emerge without some semblance of protection. By taking her Sister’s name she believes she has shifted some of the scrutiny off of the young woman when she finally does reappear. She has much to explain and will have even MORESO as the memories continue to flood back into her with each passing level of experience. She professes to have felt a cosmic connection with the transcendental hippy and his gas mask. She believes that he has not just goodness in him but balance…healthy balance…and she trusts Zander. A commodity that is very rare these days because she knows that she is supposed to trust NO ONE. COMPLETED
- The Shurikens are recovered from their burial plot. When Zander retrieves them and holds them he feels magic course through him and he is newly aware that these are instruments that are aligned to the Neutrality of Taoism. When they are combined, and meditated upon will summon an Avatar of the Ninjas of the Balance – a force outside the traditional boundaries of cosmic order and chaos. Their creation is odd and unlike traditional Rune weapons. The Shurikens can be studied and researched and uncover a forging method known as Arcanite Electrocution. The Glyphs on these shurikens are crude and primal and Engraved with Arcanite. Glyph Engraving is considered a mythological rumor — the only information said to be found harbored within the Library of Bletherad.
- The Order of the White Rose reach out to Zander with a letter at the Magic Guild. The letter is a message that he should take the utmost care and secrecy. Members of the Order are being hunted down and killed one…by…one. The Great Central Park is on lock-down. No one is allowed in or out except the Senior Knights and those on important undercover missions. The ranks are thinning and everyone is worried. P.S. After your incredible work with the beast, Cujo, it appears to have calmed considerably and approached the Order’s Bastion in Central Park. The dog isn’t aggressive anymore but it whines and calls out and it’s almost like the poor beast is cocking its head to the side and listening to music…to some far off tune that only Cujo can hear. It cries at night and howls itself to sleep. If you should find it safe and an opportunity to return we would ask that you look into soothing the poor animal. We’ve never seen anything like this.
- Call of Cthulhu Plushie, Albatross Sperm, and Writ of Sea Inquisition
- Letter from “Jatarri” (Kikku): She has found her sister recently emerged and BORN from a Dragon Egg out in the Middle East — an area once known as the Holy Land. Jatarri, the REAL Jatarri, claims to have gained “awareness” a thousand years ago but been unable to free herself from the Dream of the Dragon Egg until recently. She dreamed of a Demon with horns, a red string bracelet, a portal of chaos, and a man wearing a knight’s armor, blue cloak, and gas mask. This dream dominated her consciousness for the last thousand years and now that she has awoken and broken free she is on a mission to find the man from her dream. Her strength is returning but she feels it is significant that she was incubating for so long. I do not know what this means but I have told my sister that I know the blue cloaked figure. I told her that I felt drawn to you somehow and that we can trust you. There is so much beyond my scope of knowledge. How do they say it in Lazlo? Above my “pay grade?”
I miss your tutelage, the classes you taught, my time spent at the Magic Guild…all of it. I feel as though the World…the Megaverse is moving so quickly…spinning out of control. It’s so disorienting! I know we are a part of an ancient order of protectors who is reborn and injected into the Megaverse. The Promethean, Aleph Prime, is our guide but it seems that even he is at a loss. I want desperately to fight the good fight — to triumph over evil…or is it chaos? I am a tool. I am a weapon to be pointed in a direction and swung. Weapons don’t have a mind of their own.
- Letter from the Lazlo Historical Society asking Zander to come pick up a package from the Museum of Earth’s Ancient History. They aren’t sure how the delivery got mixed up but your package ended up sitting on one of their shipping and receiving shelves for…a long time. In fact, no one knows when it actually arrived but the packaging is rotted with decrepitude. They apologize profusely for the inconvenience and wish you to have two complementary tickets to the Museum’s newest exhibit opening gala.
- The book is a Tanakh of Rabbinic Literature and the Hebrew Bible. It is a collection of the Torah, Nevi’im, and Ketuvim, and Talmudic Teachings. The book is inscribed: Preservation is Balance. Order and Chaos are a Duality of One. Good and Evil are a Singularity of Two. Kismet sends his best wishes and fondest farewells.
- Zander finds a Rune Weapon that mimics the abilities of Kikku Chromium with the imprint of a Great Silver Dragon on the pommel, further drawing him to her. If he presents her with the weapon she immediately recognizes it as her “other half” which further hints at the Rune Artifacts having more to them…or other halves. She gives it back to him and imbues the weapon with some of her strength and tells him that it will keep them linked for as long as they are separated.
- Zander’s meditation with the female Elder Race Alien brings him new insight into his origins, how they fit into the bigger picture of the Megaverse, and the Continuum of Elemental Time.
Vision #1: Zander, from the standpoint of the sun looking out at the solar system’s planets — a star gazing upon its own system, and panning out to see constellations in the cosmos, however distant — sees the universe, galaxy, and cosmos for an infinite distance in every direction. It’s as if he is seeing through an omnipotent looking glass or psychic omni-sight on a celestial / cosmic scale. Time has no meaning here — it may be moving very quickly, very slowly, or not at all. When Zander focuses on any one point or any single celestial body he can see that it is moving. All the celestial bodies are moving and creating wispy trails of “aether” — the primordial, Elemental Aether, that makes up all things; the Quintessence. The energy of matter beneath even the smallest particles and waves. Bodies in motion.
Then, all of a sudden, as if someone pressed the “rewind” button, everything starts moving backwards. Along the exact same lines, the exact same trajectories, and the same inertial displacements. It gradually picks up pace and ramps up, faster, faster, and faster over the next few minutes. Zander’s “omni-sight” can pan out and look EVERYWHERE all at once and it looks like the cosmos is just moving backwards or rewinding. Faster and faster until the motion is blurry and light is pervasive and everything is brilliant and congealed and melding together into a giant ball of pristine clean, clear white energy. Zander can reasonably assume he just witnessed the “Big Bang” in reverse (possibly in retrospect / retrograde).
It is at this point that Time appears to stop. There is only one single ball of brilliant mass. Everything is pristine white. When Zander pans around with his omni-sight he can see a Megaverse of blackness all around this Megalith of Matter. The center of everything. Nexus. It is here, at this point, that Zander — with his unique set of abilities — can hone in on an infinitesimal point inside the White Megalith. It is a “negative” space or absence — black on white on black — and it draws him like the void of a black hole. He descends deeper and deeper into the Megalith and he is bathed in the glow of warmth and light and…blue? Is that blue?!?! As Zander pierces the layers and penetrates the “veils” of this Megalith onion the ley energy becomes more and more dense, more concentrated, and he can feel himself meld with the singularity. This feeling, familiar in his 3rd person “out-of-body” experience, is known to him in the vision. He penetrates deeper, further, consumed by the white light and the abundance and fecundity of ley energy. The “veils” are peeled back and pierced and penetrated until, eventually, the last veil is pulled away to reveal the black speck. That tiny little black void he saw from without. It is here, in this void, shrouded by a cocoon of ley energy — that the Null Continuum calls to him. A sound emanates from the Null. It’s voice is unintelligible but it calls. It is a dearth of space, null, and it connects to another place…another plane…another realm. It is a Bridge — the Bridge of Destiny. And the voice, Zander knows it as the Vox Stellarum.
Bravely, Zander moves forward into that pin-point / pin-prick of null-space. It is the great vastness and emptiness of space and it is simultaneously nonexistent and nothing. Zander may not be cognizant consciously but ingrained in him, seeded deep within his cells — his very DNA — the cellular memory remembers this. For this point, the Bridge of Destiny, this is the Origin of the Plane. What begins at the Origin shall end there and what ends there shall once more begin.
Vision #2: The Ninth Forge Heresy – a vision of a scroll that unravels and tells this tale…
Vision #3: The Origin is naught. A pin-prick opens to admit Five and Four Dragons soaring across the void. Blackness of a starless sky. The space is absent. Primordial forces…elements…give up power to take on form. The tradeoff is full of wonderment and joy and majesty. The Falling Crescent Silver Star streaks out to Zander’s viewpoint. The New Rising Red Sun soars across the darkness. The Waxing Gibbous Brown Comet burns brightest in a flare. The Waning Gibbous Green Plasma held together only by a verdant gravity in retrograde. The First Blue Tide crashes into the sea of skies with a spray of sparkling twinkles. The Full Black of nebulous Aether scintillates like a canvas. The Third Yellow Chronos impresses itself upon the plane and creates the dimensional divisions. The Rainbow Palette Waning Crescent Chaos ties them all together, bound across the dimensions but spanning all the planes. It calls to Zander with a voice like a lullaby. The Vox Stellarum. It’s song is of seven chakras:Sahasrara (Crown): Time/Space/Cosmic/Universal Ajña (Third Eye): Nether/Dark/Shadow/Death Vishuddhi (Throat): Aether/Light/Life/Lightning/Electricity/Energy Anahata (Heart): Air/Wind Manipura (Navel): Fire/Heat/Flame Svadhisthana (Sacral): Water/Ice/Snow/Steam/Fog/Mist Muladhara (Root): Earth/Plants/Rock/Soil
(Zander, knowing what he saw in medieval europe, and remembering what Karma said to him in the temple of the red string, if he wanted to revisit the book by Karma with the inscription by Kismet, will have the option to “research” this and find a cross-reference to parallels in Hinduism – remember, Karma and Kismet claimed to be founding a new philosophy called Taoism):
Zander rides the waves of the elements on the board of the chakras and surfs his way into Oblivion. There, at the Origin, he yells, “KOWABUNGA!!!!” and pierces the veil to find himself in an alien place. The wave arrives here as if seamlessly transitioning. He rides and surfs and jukes and coasts along the currents of Creation. This place is foreign and yet familiar. He knows he’s never been here and yet he has seen it before — not in his dreams but with his own eyes — clouds and mists form and swirl shapelessly beckoning to his thoughts. The domain is quintessential. At once, he realizes with a start that nearly rouses him from meditation. This is the Astral Plane…but it is a stretch-out further — the reaches of the nether. This is the Sidereal – a Realm of Existence that is only rumored to exist. As Zander surfs the solitude the clouds swirl and react to his thoughts and his mood they reach out to him playfully and respond with the enthusiasm of youth. This is the Soulstuff and it is Primordial. He feels at peace.
There is nothing to see for a while. It soothes his eyes to lose focus and let the perspective shift with his board riding the wake of the chakras. And then he sees it. Off in the distance. The Sidereal parts and the clouds peel back to reveal a chrysalis. It is hanging there in suspension like some moth stuck in a cocoon. Then, just beyond that he sees another. And beyond those another four. And beyond that one eight more. And as he is surfing he realizes that he is passing deeper and deeper into their ranks. There must be hundreds and thousands of these chrysalises. But he must press onward. The chakras are pulling him forward, guiding his hand, shaping his thoughts, the mists are swirling more agitated and erratically. This…landscape is uncomfortable and disconcerting. He must stop. He must see what is inside. Curiosity gets the better of him but it is only a brief surcease from the sinking feeling that drills lead into his boots and sinks the pit of his stomach through the downward spiral of his soul. Zander peers into the crystalline cocoon and sees a human-being. A woman. She appears to take on a very strong mega-damage intensive form. Her hair is splayed out in a tangled thicket of locks. She is suspended, petrified and frozen, and though she looks whole Zander can see that the chakras flow completely around her. They penetrate the Chrysalis with ease yet they bypass and completely avoid her frozen body. She is empty – a husk. Though she looks like an intact human woman Zander knows that she is devoid. Something is terribly wrong.
He moves on to the next nearest chrysalis. Peering inside he sees the body of a child, no more than ten years old, a boy. He, too, is frozen like the woman and the chakras seem to pass right over him. His is an energy form silhouette. The next cocoon — a ball of light — Zander knows him to be a man, fully grown, in his prime — almost looks familiar. The unease turns to disquiet. What fate befell these people? The chakras pull — still they lead him on — as if he is guided by an invisible hand. Until they stop at a Chrysalis. It is curious. As Zander peers inside he sees that it is empty. Disquiet turns to dread and fear overwhelms the chakras pull. They dissolve and evaporate and flee before the outrageous and horrifying emotions. Zander, continues to peer into the empty cocoon in disbelief. No! This can’t be! But it is. The Sidereal pulls back and he feels his surfboard fade into Oblivion. It is time to take his place here. It is time to give up. It is time to give in. It is time to join the Sidereal.
Okay, that’s it for the visions — 3 visions (2) of which are main plot related and the last is Zander’s WYWA personal story-related although I tied them together using some of the common themes / elements. Hope you enjoy it and it’ll give ya some food for thought on how you want to develop the character.
Eastern Elements: fire, earth, water, metal, wood (written about in Trent’s journal and the Codex)
Western Elements: fire, earth, water, air (written about in Trent’s journal and the Codex)
Quintessence / aether / void – reference the chaos excerpt from Korbin Slayne
Time – reference the chaos excerpt from Korbin Slayne
Chaos – reference the chaos postings from the agents of chaos page on the obsidian portal wiki